International Health Insurance Questions Answered

1. How can I apply for International Health insurance?

Travel Medical, Emergency Evacuation and Vacation Travel insurance can all be applied for on-line, quickly and easily.  Permanent Major Medical policies require underwriting and are a little more health care specific, so you need to “Get a Quote” from a licensed agent.  The agent will then contact you to fill out an application on line or submit a paper application by fax or mail.

2. Will I have to have a physical to get the policy?

Travel Medical, Emergency Evacuation and Vacation Travel policies do not require any medical underwriting so no physical is necessary.  Permanent Major Medical policies generally require a physical have been completed within the last 2 years of the application date.  If you have not had a physical within the last 2 years, you may be asked to have one completed.

3. How fast can coverage begin?

Travel Medical, Emergency Evacuation and Vacation Travel policies can begin as soon as the next day.  Permanent Major Medical policies should be applied for 30 days from your departure date.   If you are already living outside your home country, the policy can be in affect as soon as underwriting has reviewed and approved your application.  This time frame can vary depending upon the complexities of the application, however, a general time frame may be 7-14 days.

4. Are there specific countries of coverage?

There are two areas of coverage available:  ”Worldwide” or “Worldwide excluding the U.S., Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Singapore and Taiwan”.  There are no area substitutions.

5. Are both inpatient and out patient services covered?


6. If I need treatment, do I have to be treated by a predetermined list of providers?

No. If you are outside your home country, you will have the freedom to seek treatment from any legal, licensed, provider. If you are inside your home country, to maximize your benefits, you will want to seek treatment from an extensive list of PPO providers.  There are over 500,000 highly qualified physicians to choose from and 4,700 privately owned and operated hospitals.

7. What does “My home country” mean?

If you are a US citizen, your home country is the US.   If you are a Mexican citizen, your home country is Mexico, etc.

8. Are there age limits on international policies?

Travel Medical, Emergency Evacuation and Vacation travel policies have no age limit.  Permanent Major Medical policies term at age 75 unless applicants have applied before the age of 65.  If an applicant applies before the age of 65 and maintains continuous coverage, they qualify for the Global Senior plan and coverage continues throughout life.

9. What if I have a life threatening medical emergency, and need to be returned to my home country for treatment?

Each policy will make sure you are taken to the nearest, qualified treatment center for stabilization.  Once you are able to fly home for continued treatment, there are a couple of scenarios.  If you are on Medicare, your Medicare will be your primary insurance with your international permanent major medical policy coming in second.  If you have purchased a medical travel policy, and you need continued treatment in your home country, there is extended coverage in your home country.

10. If I have pre-existing medical conditions, will I be declined?

Each case is handled on an individual basis so there is no pat answer.  Approval can be issued with “Exclusionary Riders” for specific pre-existing conditions and after 24 months of continuous coverage, with no necessary treatment for the pre-existing condition, that condition can then be covered.  There may also be lifetime limits applied towards the pre-existing condition.

11. If I am planning on participating in some sporting activities, will I be covered?

Sporting activities require a “Sports” rider.